Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Stolen Hours

This is a new blog attempt at writing down, hopefully in depth, some reviews and feelings about the increasing number on anime that I have been devouring with my eyes. One part justification for such a time spendature, and one part to remember why I continue to spend my time like this and how I can learn beauty. Also, I hope to make a comprehensive list of anime that can help people who either think of anime as that "thing" people in dank basements watch, or those who can't live socially, or maybe just not really get into it. Time definitely is a restraint, but the fact remains that there is GOOD anime out there. This medium has been very well developed and is almost to the point of becoming a large way in which political or other controversies about our time are discussed through. Not all anime is full of strangely drawn, over exaggerated characters who just power up over and over and stare at each other in combat while hurling cheesy insults at each other. That is not the anime that I will be looking at.

I will be trying to cut through the crap and get anime that means something. That is beautiful. At the VERY least, has a good story.

Hopefully this blog will help me refine critical perspectives in which to better dissect and analyze what I am viewing, and use the correct words to display how I interpret and was moved in response. For the now, I'll just keep a list of the anime series that I've gone through and hope that at some point I'll be able to catch up with them in posting.

Almost looking for justification, this blog will probably be more sporadic than usual and not be up dated too often.

I will also be very biased towards my child hood upbringing. Those shows need no analysis. They were awesome.

Ranking these will just be stupid, so instead I would prioritize rather than rank when I talk about the urgency one needs to experience this particular story.

The list here is the current good animes and animations in my head.
Eventually this will be a married list of American and Japanese animation titles so that I don't need to make specific lists. Everything that I review I will link to this page.
****
5 Centimeters per Second
Afro Samurai
Afro Samurai: Resurrection
Air Gear!
Akira
The Animatrix
Avatar: The Last Airbender
Bleach
Blood+
Clannad
Claymore
Clone Wars (Star Wars Mini Series)
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Dead Leaves
Dragon Ball Z
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Gotham Knight
Grave of the Fireflies
Gundam Wing
Gunslinger Girl
Hellsing anime/OVA
Inuyasha
Justice League
Kino' Journey
Lucky Star
Makoto Shinkai
Memories
Metropolis
Monster
Mushi-shi
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Noir
Paranoia Agent
Paprika
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
The Promised Place of Our Early Days
Samurai Champloo
Samurai Jack
She and Her Cat
Spirited Away
Steam Boy
Studio Ghibli
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The Big O
Voices of a Distant Star
Wolf's Rein
Yu Yu Hakasho

1 comment:

  1. HEY MAN!

    My Neighbor Totoro is like my favorite studio Ghibli movie. Don't be hating. Also, you forgot FLCL and Hellsing Anime/OVA

    You might want to check out some classic non-action-fightmonger ones too, like Lupin III or Detective Conan. (Case Closed, I think?)

    Oh man, I'm totally going to need to watch those now. :D

    ReplyDelete